My Top 10 Films of 2010:
1. Arrietty (Hiromasa Yonebayashi)
2. Surviving Life (Theory and Practice) (Jan Svankmajer)
3. Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich)
4. Attenberg (Athina Rachel Tsangari)
5. Super (James Gunn)
6. Monsters (Gareth Edwards)
7. Another Year (Mike Leigh)
8. Let Me In (Matt Reeves)
9. Essential Killing (Jerzy Skolimowski)
10. TRON: Legacy (Joseph Kosinski)
The Ghost Writer (Roman Polanski), Unstoppable (Tony Scott), Robin Hood: The Director's Cut (Ridley Scott), Resident Evil: Afterlife (Paul W.S. Anderson), Hereafter (Clint Eastwood), Everything Must Go (Dan Rush), Four Lions (Chris Morris), Love Crime (Alain Corneau), Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (Dmitry Yasyukov & Werner Herzog), The Illusionist (Sylvain Chomet), Accomplice (Hal Hartley), A Tribute to Eric Rohmer (Jean-Luc Godard), The Other Guys (Adam McKay)
Lesley Manville in Another Year,
Olivia Williams & Pierce Brosnan in The Ghost Writer, Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Michael Rooker & Gregg Henry in Super, Vincent Gallo in Essential Killing, Noah Taylor &
Sally Hawkins in Submarine, Kristin Scott Thomas in Love Crime, Will Ferrell in Everything Must Go, Michael Keaton in The Other Guys, Elias Koteas & Richard Jenkins in
Let Me In
Ewan McGregor in The Ghost Writer, Russell
Crowe in Robin Hood, Michael Sheen in TRON: Legacy, Lucy Punch in You Will Meet
a Tall Dark Stranger, Aaron Johnson & Nicolas Cage in Kick-Ass, Barbara
Hershey & Vincent Cassell in Black Swan, the entire cast of Alice in
Roy Ward Baker, Lisa Blount, Jackie Burroughs, Ian Carmichael, Claude Chabrol, Alain Corneau, Dino De Laurentiis, Corey Haim, George Hickenlooper, Dennis Hopper, Lionel Jeffries, Irvin Kershner, Satoshi Kon, Kevin McCarthy, Patricia Neal, Ronald Neame, Leslie Nielsen, Eric Rohmer, Bruno S., Glenn Shadix, Gloria Stuart, Don Van Vliet, Tracy Wright
Film Highlights of 2010:
- The restored version of Metropolis.
- 'A History of Horror with Mark Gattis' - An excellent 3 part BBC documentary on the history of the genre.
- One evening in March I decided to revisit Michael Mann's Miami Vice and Public Enemies on DVD. A tremendous double bill and both of these fine films seem even better on subsequent viewings.
- TRON: Legacy - this is the only 3D screening which I've enjoyed to date.
- The wonderful news that Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire won't be making any more godawful Spider-Man films.
- UK Region 2 DVDs of Andrzej Zulawski's Possession (Second Sight), Fassbinder's World on a Wire (Second Sight) and John Carpenter's Elvis (Fremantle Home Entertainment)